I am continually encouraging my clients to embrace Social Networking and Social Media to grow their business and increase income.
Generally they ignore me or they begrudgingly go along with it. Yesterday one of my clients, who I also consider a close friend and confidant questioned my whole approach here.
Below is his email (in italics) with some comments from me where appropriate. I will formulate my response soon but in the meantime appreciate any further comments as usual
I have spent the last 3 days to do an analytical study of all these so called social networking sites including yours (no offense, it is constructive)
- I find these sites excessively boring
- We do not really learn anything from (back)ground matters.
- I do not like the way knowledge is introduced, explained and displayed, through the likes and dislikes of people we only know (in the best case) superficially.
- In most of the case, information is embedded from other sites, not much creativity.
- Information displays is far away from being welcoming or user friendly.
Therefore my questions are:
- Why do we need to follow a trend that up to now has not proved itself to be better than the previous ones?
- Why do we have the need to wait for people to transmit our message to other people instead of transmitting directly ourselves?
- From my education, the best communication is the shortest one, the most straight forward one. I have not seen anything like this in all this survey.
Few specific questions:
- What did all this social networking manage to bring to you in terms of contact, finance, income?
- I have been talking to different people in Europe and Asia about twitter/ bebo, stumble…. And they guaranteed me no business people were using it for strategic decisions and they are very prudent about taking connections fro these sites for business purposes. Except for linkedIn, which I have experienced myself on a very positive way, because it s coming from another perspective.
- Linkedin perspective is much more straight forward tha all the rest, much more professional and without the fun the others are associated with.
All this to finally explain that I am not very persuaded by all the goodness these sites appear to bring….
For your information, I have been conducting a forum, highly indexed by SE robots but it has showed real success, real interest and brought me in money. I have had this since 2000.
I have pointed out that a Blog is a public version of the forum which also helps with SEO if immbedded in the site ..Rick
- I believe al these social networking sites are good to build trends fast!
- I believe the traditional SEO is still working well for representing business and corporate activities.